A question that comes up frequently in our group – Planning a Lap of Australia – is what is the best dinner set to use for caravanning. Generally speaking most people use one of the following three types – Corelle, Melamine or Bamboo. Very few people choose to use china or crockery sets because of their weight and the likelihood of breakages.
So which one of the three is the best and which one should you choose?
Corelle dinner ware is made of a three-layer thermally bonded glass laminate called Vitrelle glass. It has been around since the 1970’s. According to my research it is non- toxic, containing no BPA’s or lead. It can be bought as a set or as individual pieces.
- Light Weight
- Chip and Crack Resistant
- Thin so takes up less space
- Comes in both round and square
- Comes in a variety of patterns
- Microwave, oven, refrigerator, freezer and dishwasher safe
- Doesn’t stain
- Scratch resistant
- Moderately priced
- Heavier than either Melamine or Bamboo
- Will still break if dropped on hard surfaces
- Reports of cups being of poorer quality
Melamine is an organic-based, nitrogen-rich compound used to manufacture cooking utensils, plates, plastic products, and more. Some melamine products may contain small amounts of BPA but the FDA considers it safe for use. However it does caution against using melamine products in the microwave.
- Very lightweight
- Comes in a huge variety of colours and patterns
- Available in round and square
- Virtually unbreakable
- Can scratch
- Can’t be used in microwave
- Not as ‘nice’ to eat off
Only a relatively new addition to the market is Bamboo table ware. Bamboo is a sustainably grown fibre which amongst other things is naturally anti-bacterial. Most products are made from Bamboo fibre, resin and cornstarch and are all BPA free.
- Come in a variety of colours and patterns
- Available in square or round
- Doesn’t stain
- Dishwasher safe
- Inexpensive to moderately priced
- Not microwave safe
- May scratch
- May break if dropped
WHAT WE HAVE
We opted for Bamboo dinner plates and bowls. The main reason for this choice was they were light weight, they were square and they were available in colours that I wanted. Ours are Decor brand so they were only very cheap and they have scratched when we used steak knives on them.
What do you think is the best dinner set to use for Caravanning?
This post contains affiliate links as per our Disclosure Policy.