The whole family have been super busy today installing our new Drifta Drawer System into the back of the BT-50. I knew I wouldn’t have much time to cook something for dinner so I thought I would make a lamb casserole in the slow cooker. The beauty of a slow cooker is that whatever you cook in one, you can just as easily cook in a camp oven. I even know people that take their slow cooker with them when they go camping.
I never brown my meat before putting it in the slow cooker. I just throw everything in together and it always turns out perfectly. I certainly got no complaints from anyone tonight.
- 4 – 6 large lamb forequarter chops, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 8-10 button mushrooms, cut in quarters
- ½ red chilli, finely sliced
- 1 tinned diced tomatoes
- black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon beef stock powder mixed into ½ tin hot water (use tomato tin)
- generous splash Worcestershire sauce (or whatever sauce you have)
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs (I like Masterfoods Spag Bol Herbs)
Roll chops in flour, place in slow cooker, camp oven or casserole dish. Add all other ingredients on top of chops. Cover with lid. Cook in slow cooker for 6-7 hours, camp oven for 1 to 1½ hours, or in a conventional oven at about 160` for 1 to 1½ hours.
Serve with lots of mashed potato and vegies of your choice.